Feldene is a prescription medication that belongs to the nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) class. It contains the active ingredient piroxicam, which helps to relieve pain, reduce inflammation, and lower fever. Feldene is primarily used to treat symptoms associated with osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis. It works by inhibiting the production of prostaglandins, which are responsible for pain and inflammation in the body.
Before taking Feldene, it is important to be aware of the following contraindications and precautions:
1. Allergy: Do not take Feldene if you have a known allergy to piroxicam or any other NSAIDs. Allergic reactions may include rash, hives, itching, swelling, or difficulty breathing.
2. Asthma: If you have a history of asthma or other allergic reactions, use Feldene with caution, as it may trigger or worsen these conditions.
3. Bleeding disorders: Feldene may increase the risk of bleeding, especially if you have a bleeding disorder or are taking blood thinners. Consult your doctor before using this medication.
4. Stomach ulcers and gastrointestinal bleeding: Feldene can cause stomach ulcers and gastrointestinal bleeding, which may be more likely in elderly patients. Inform your healthcare provider if you have a history of stomach ulcers or gastrointestinal bleeding.
5. Cardiovascular disease: NSAIDs, including Feldene, may increase the risk of heart attacks, stroke, and blood clots. Use caution and discuss with your doctor if you have a history of heart disease or any cardiovascular risk factors.
6. Pregnancy and breastfeeding: Feldene should be avoided during pregnancy, especially during the third trimester, as it may harm the unborn baby. It is not recommended for use while breastfeeding due to the potential transfer of piroxicam into breast milk.
What to Expect When Taking Feldene
While taking Feldene, you may experience some side effects. Common side effects include:
1. Gastrointestinal symptoms: These may include stomach pain, indigestion, heartburn, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, or constipation. Taking the medication with food or milk can help reduce these symptoms.
2. Headache and dizziness: Some individuals may experience headaches or dizziness while taking Feldene.
3. Skin reactions: Rarely, Feldene may cause skin rash, itching, or sensitivity to sunlight.
4. Fluid retention and swelling: In some cases, Feldene may cause fluid retention and swelling, especially in the legs and ankles.
5. Changes in blood pressure: Feldene can affect blood pressure, leading to either an increase or decrease in levels.
If any of these side effects persist or worsen, contact your healthcare provider for further guidance. Serious side effects, such as signs of gastrointestinal bleeding, allergic reactions, or liver problems, should be reported immediately.
How to Take It
Follow these guidelines when taking Feldene:
1. Dosage: The usual recommended dose of Feldene is 20 mg taken once daily. Your doctor may adjust the dosage based on your condition and response to the medication.
2. Administration: Take Feldene with a full glass of water. It is best to take it with food or milk to minimize stomach upset.
3. Missed dose: If you forget to take a dose, take it as soon as you remember. If it is close to the next scheduled dose, skip the missed dose and continue with your regular dosing schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for a missed one.
4. Overdose: If you suspect an overdose, seek immediate medical attention. Overdose symptoms may include nausea, vomiting, stomach pain, drowsiness, black or bloody stools, or shallow breathing.
Feldene may interact with other drugs and substances, including:
1. Other NSAIDs: Taking Feldene with other NSAIDs can increase the risk of gastrointestinal bleeding and other side effects. Avoid concomitant use of multiple NSAIDs.
2. Blood thinners: Combining Feldene with blood thinners, such as warfarin or aspirin, may increase the risk of bleeding. Regular monitoring of coagulation parameters is essential.
3. Diuretics: Feldene can reduce the effects of diuretics (water pills) by decreasing renal blood flow and impairing kidney function. Close monitoring is necessary when using these medications together.
4. Antihypertensive medications: Feldene may attenuate the effects of antihypertensive drugs, potentially resulting in high blood pressure. Blood pressure should be closely monitored if these medications are used concomitantly.
5. Corticosteroids: The risk of gastrointestinal bleeding may increase when Feldene is combined with corticosteroids such as prednisone, dexamethasone, or hydrocortisone.
It is important to inform your healthcare provider about all medications, both prescription and over-the-counter, as well as any herbal supplements or dietary changes you are making, before starting Feldene.
The Answers You Need
Here are the top 5 questions related to Feldene:
Can Feldene be taken for acute pain?
Feldene is primarily indicated for chronic conditions such as osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis. It is not typically used for acute pain relief.
Can Feldene be taken with food?
Yes, taking Feldene with food or milk can help reduce stomach upset.
What should I do if I experience an allergic reaction?
If you develop signs of an allergic reaction, such as rash, hives, or difficulty breathing, stop taking Feldene immediately and seek medical attention.
Is Feldene safe for use in the elderly?
Feldene can be used in the elderly, but caution is advised due to an increased risk of stomach ulcers, gastrointestinal bleeding, and fluid retention.
Can Feldene be used during pregnancy?
Feldene is not recommended during pregnancy, especially during the third trimester, as it may harm the unborn baby. Consult your doctor for alternative treatment options.